Thursday, May 14, 2009

Life

We're wrapping up our time in Guyana, and many people here are responding with gifts and inviting us to spend some last time with them. Most of our time is booked from now until we leave here, and this doesn't allow much time to think about blogging....
We spent half of Wednesday with Mala, a lady from the Corriverton church, and the other half of the day with Emily and her daughter Shannon, who is in this picture with me. This little girl is so beautiful! We had a good time with both of these people, and it made me sad that we're leaving.
Jason, (the boy in the red shirt) is our next-door neighbor, and he had a birthday Tuesday that Ellen made a cake for and we celebrated with him. Ellen was teaching him and his cousin, Sarah how to play that pushing game where you stand with your feet together and have to push each other's hands and knock the other person over without falling or moving your own feet.
In the Hammock is Raishma, and Emily, Jason's mother and sister. We have so enjoyed spending time with this family, and go over there fairly often to eat, hang out, spend the night, etc. They are really kind to us, and are sending many things home with us. We had a bush cook there last night, and in this picture they are eating the cook-up. It was a very fun evening.
My last day of teaching was today, and I tested my students on the Geography we've been learning for the past month. They did really well on the quizzes! They had so many questions and didn't want me to leave today. They asked WHEN I'm coming back, not IF I'm coming back.
It's funny how you can spend only 4 months teaching students and get so close to them. Some of these kids have become special to me, and I will really miss them. I think they look up to me so much, and I try to be aware of my actions and how I am treating and dealing with people. I don't want to lead them astray.
Teaching was a good experience for me- I learned!! I think I got a little more strict than I used to be, and a little more no-nonsense, but today my students told me that they like me because I don't yell at them or hit them if they don't understand something, I explain it to them. They think I'm easy going and relaxed with them....whatever.
They asked me when I'm getting married, (they know Ellen's getting married) and when I said I don't know because I have no guy interests, they asked, "Well are you going to marry a white guy or a Guyanese"? I told them I'm going to marry the man that God without a doubt shoves in my face. He's got someone for me, but I guess I never really answered their question of whether or not he'd be guyanese...oh well.

1 comment:

Dana said...

That is a very sad thought for you to be leaving these people that you've grown so close to and helped in so many ways...but we're SO EXCITED to have you back!!! We love you too!!!