Thursday, April 2, 2009

Kitchen happenings...

So one night, we're in the kitchen, way past our bedtime, and I'm doing dishes at the kitchen sink. I'm kind of zoning in lala land, not much going on, when I hear "uh... cccaaan you" then I turn around and this is what I see. Apparently Ellen was making pancakes or something for the next morning, and she had gotten lazy and didn't want to get on the stool to put the flour back where it belongs on the TOP shelf in our kitchen, so she chucked the bag up there. I have done this a few times myself, because I also get lazy. But the VERY FULL and poorly secured bag landed half on/half off the shelf as you can see, and as she watched it she realized that the twisty tie was coming undone, and the flour was about to come out. She considered climbing up, but realized there was no time for that. So, she tried to catch it with her hands, which was partially successful, but didn't stop the snowfall of flour to dust many other things on the way down.
Notice the amount of flour in the bag in this picture compared to the last photo. It just kept coming...and coming...and coming.


There was flour EVERYWHERE, though she did catch a good chunk in her hands.





And then there's Katie. If you look closely at the bottom right hand side of the refrigerator, on the floor you will note scattered shards of glass. Katie had been cooking and trying to get a drink and who knows what else when we spotted a mouse in the dining room. I (this is Ellen now) laughed and wanted to catch it somehow, I love these sorts of challenges for some reason. Katie was in the kitchen exclaiming "just don't let it come in here". I think the mouse thought she was calling him. So, mouse in the kitchen with Katie resulted in her jumping onto the stool she had set her glass on to ensure that it didn't...ummm...bite her toes off? I'm still not sure what the fright was all about. She sat there for a good while until we convinced her that the mouse really had gone back into his hole and we were working on poisoning him.




7 comments:

Micah Kleven said...

gooooooood one ellen! maybe use the stool next time.

what's wrong with mice, Katie??

Ellen said...

haha, I know better, but we still just throw things up there..no other mishaps so far.

Katie said...

I get this creeping sensation that the mouse will come crawl up my feet onto my legs and up my body, and the thought of something scurrying up my body doesn't move me to thoughts of joy.

Katie said...

My best friend and I love to bake together. The only thing about that is that flour ends up EVERYWHERE and usually because we meant it to. :)

And tonight I allowed Maria's hamster to scramble up my arm inside my sleeve- talk about a creeping sensation! Here's a quote from a book, I'm sure it's Katie's philosophy as well:

"That's my philosophy with mice. If they're alive, kill them. If they're dead, kill them. That way you can be certain of having yourself a dead mouse, which is the only kind of mouse to have."

Dana said...

hahahahaha...I love you two!!! It made me laugh very hard!!! I love how you both had stories to tell about each other. And Ellen...you looked like me as a 12 year old baking with flour surrounding me. And Katie...way to let a mouse get the best of you! :D

Keithslady said...

What really made me laugh was knowing that Ellen was standing there with flour pouring down on her while Katie was busy taking pictures! Good thing you have big hands, Ellen.

Biting toes or not, my feet like being off the floor, too.

Catherine said...

Yes, as soon as I saw the pictures I thought, "Wait,why was Katie taking pictures while Ellen was bathing in flour?" That was funny. It reminds me of a story that happened here once: Matthew(my brother)learned how to make chocolate chip cookies several years ago. He enjoyed it so much that he started making them often....they were really good actually! Well, about the fourth or so time he baked them, they turned out flat and crispy around the edges. We just couldn't figure out what had happened. Finally, I went over to a canister of white powdery stuff and said "Matthew, did you by any chance use this?" "Sure," he said, "I used that flour." Well, turns out it wasn't flour....it was powdered sugar! I still cannot figure out how on earth he couldn't tell the difference between flour and powdered sugar, but I think he'll be extra careful if he ever bakes again!