Monday, April 27, 2009

Pinata Busting

These pictures are from a few weeks back when the kids came back to school after Easter break. The boys were the most excited about the demolition of the pinatas, with a little coaxing a couple of the girls joined in too. The kids worked long and hard to complete the pinatas and did a very good job decorating them. There were six total, a sun, man's head, basketball, hot air balloon, cats head, and rabbit head. My personal favorite was the yellow sun with red rays coming off of it. I should have had the presence of mind to take pictures of them all before they were busted, but that just didn't seem to cross my mind. Ah well. Showing off the candy they had scrambled to pick up. It was intense. Bryce and Owen, you would have been up against some pretty stiff competition had you been here to join in!




This is Akash holding the stick. He likes to make trouble, but is pretty sweet in general. Oh, that stick. I have a funny story about the stick.

The first kid who swung at the first pinata on the first day (we had two pinata busting days) was just blindfolded and told to "go". He took two steps in my direction (I was holding the rope for the pinata, approx. 6 feet away) and swung that stick as hard as he could. He missed the pinata completely but gave me a pretty good thwack on my forearm. It was bruised and there's still a lump on my bone where "the bai lash meh" (that's creolese speak, another common one would be "the bai knock meh"). I'm not sore anymore, just have a lump. I laughed so hard. I'm still not sure why it was so funny, I guess just the pure shock that I got smoked by the kid and completely unintentionally. It was fun-ny.



Another go at it. They swing hard. A couple hit the pole so hard the stick broke and we had to get a new one. It was a dangerous game, but very enjoyable.




Aqueena stepped right up there and took a swing, I was happy about that :-)



I think this is Avinash, but I'm not completely sure. Overall it was a really good time and they seemed to enjoy it all. I sure did!




2 comments:

Catherine said...

Oh no! Your poor arm. That reminds me....One time I went to a public elementary school to talk to the kids about the violin and took an old violin and bow to let them try it out. Well, one of the kids was so engrossed in trying it out that he poked me right in the eye with the sharp end of the bow!

Hope that lump goes away soon!

Catherine

Dana said...

That sounds like a little too much fun...and you have sweet battle marks!!! lucky! lol I CAN'T WAIT TILL YOU COME HOME!!!!!!!! I love you a ton and can't wait to see you in only 17 days!!! wooWOO!