Sunday, April 19, 2009

Ladies Retreat

We held a ladies retreat last Friday, Good Friday, and had about 35 ladies attend. The Lord definitely blessed Ellen and I and gave us the ability to speak and I pray that it was clear for the ladies. Many of them told us that they were so encouraged and had such a good time. We had a schedule:
Introduction Game
Ellen's lesson- Titus 2
Cooking, making Hummus, salsa fresca, Roti chips, guacamole, and pasta salad.
After we made the food, we ate the appetizer- the dips and roti chips, while Ellen and I gave a lesson on time management.
Ate lunch- pasta salad and punch
Katie's lesson- Proverbs 31
Discussion and recapping of the day
Start at the bottom and go up, because the pictures uploaded backwards once again.:) Cynthia and I were having a sweep-off, and I'm pretty sure I was beating her, but I guess her broom was falling apart, so she kinda had a disadvantage. She can kick my butt at sweeping though, because she grew up doing it and she just understands the most effective ways to do it.
After our little or big get togethers or meetings, there is lots of cleanup to do. I am learning slowly how to use a guyanese (indian) broom. They are made out of palm tree leaves.

Carla was teaching Ellen how to make the Matai.


Ellen learning how to make matai, kind of like a doughnutish thing. They are SO good. I was watching her skills.


I thought this picture was prime: It was a random picture someone took of us, but kind of represents typical life here- Ellen and I constantly coordinating things:) I'm not sure what Ellen's explaining to me, but I was listening!!!

The ladies during my Proverbs 31 lesson.



the roti chips, guacamole and hummus.




The Pasta salad that we made. It sure looks yummy.

Mrs. Hunter was in charge of the salsa fresca. She's demonstrating chopping cheese right here.



My group of ladies chopping things up for the pasta salad and at the far end of the table they are making the guacamole.


Ellen's group made Hummus, and in that pot is "channah" (chick peas). Ellen is instructing the ladies on what they are to do to make the hummus. Thing #1 is to smash up the channah. That was funny to watch:)


Doling out ingredients. We separated all of the ingredients that the different cooking groups needed for the particular item they were making. It ended up being pretty organized, which I was thankful for because cooking in small quarters with around 35 ladies is interesting! It went very well though, and everyone seemed to enjoy themselves and pitch in when they could.


The ladies attentively listening and laughing during Ellen's lesson. There must have been something funny, I just can't remember.

Ashmin is sitting to the farthest left, she's the deaf girl that loves Ellen. Shoco is sitting the farthest to the right. She is married to Terry, the pastor of Roadside, and she works at the Centre as well.



Ellen giving her lesson on Titus 2.


Ellen made Tea rings to serve to the ladies, and I was cutting one here. They were very pretty!

1 comment:

Catherine said...

I think I'd get a back ache pretty quickly if I had to use those brooms!