Monday, April 13, 2009

Life

The longer we're here, the faster time seems to fly, although I miss my family alot, there's so much that we're doing and to be doing that I find myself wishing there were 28 hours in a day so I could get some more sleep! We have 5 weeks left here, and we want to use them for God's glory. This upcoming week is pretty busy, tomorrow I have piano lessons/singing lessons most of the day. Thursday we're helping clean the #57 church building, then going around Corriverton passing out invitations to come to our Teen meeting Saturday. Friday we're holding a children's meeting in the morning with Flannel graph story, singing, games, and popcorn. Friday evening we'll spend time preparing for Saturday's Teen meeting, and then from 10:00a.m. -1:00p.m. on Saturday we'll have teenagers from the area come. Sunday we're having a Crusade at #57, and it will continue into Monday as well. There never seems to be a dull moment here. I struggle with finding alone time, but am happy to be busy. Last week we took a trip to New Amsterdam to get our drivers license renewed. We needed to do a little bit of shopping for some items you can't get in Skeldon where we live, so we stayed the afternoon. I needed to go to the post office to mail some letters, and they get there faster if mailed from New Amsterdam:) so we walked to the OTHER side of New Amsterdam to find the post office. Along the way, we met some boys and a tree. This tree looked like a great climbing tree to Ellen, and as we approached the tree with boys in it, she said, "That tree looks like a blast to climb, but those boys would probably scared and run away if I asked them if I could climb with them." I responded, "No they wouldn't." and then I proceeded to yell toward the boys, "Hey, do you guys care if she climbs the tree with you? She thinks it looks fun." The boys perked up and looked excited, while one boy said in a teasing manner, "You can climb my tree for a hundred dollars." Everyone laughed, and though it was a joke, Ellen did give the boy a hundred dollars for letting her climb up "His" public tree. Needless to say, we ended up spending about 45 minutes talking to the boys, learned their names, and the same boy who sold Ellen a climb up his tree got me a dead snake and sold it to me for a hundred dollars. It is poisonous, but very dead and dried. We actually learned quite a bit about poisonous snakes here, and those boys told us the tree they were climbing didn't have snakes in it, but the tree beside theirs did. They also said that you don't want to fall in the water beneath the tree because there's alligators in there.


The boy sitting on my lap sold me the dead snake. the boys names are: Omari, Keon, Shkeel, Kci, and Joshaun. They gave us a list of things you can buy with a hundred dollars:
lemonade white pudding
cracker black pudding
juice mint
jam slice egg ball
channa

This sign cracked me up. Notice how cheap it is.




A typical week's selection of fruit.




Mr. Hunter's birthday cake. We make cakes frequently, and decorate them with NO TIPS, no cake decorating supplies, simply plastic bags. I'm learning how you can be creative and come up with alternative ways to do things.

1 comment:

Catherine said...

Wow, I can't write that well on a cake WITH the decorating tips! Nice work:)