Monday, January 12, 2009

Purchasing meat

So In Guyana, meat is purchased in much different a manner than what you're used to...let me explain: In the market, there is a meat section, with tables of meat like this, sitting out, flies buzzing all around. Though this vendor seems to be pretty sanitary.
This guy has some of his meat hanging up to display. This past Saturday, we saw 2 cow heads, freshly detached from their bodies, laying on one of the ends of the tables. It was rather disgusting.

This lady is selling fish and beef. They chop it up right there in front of you on that board in front of her. She's actually cutting up a fish right now.


This lady is selling all types of fish...yummy.



And to end on a more appetising note, here is a fruits and vegetables vendor. These are all in the market, a BIG building, probably as big as walmart, CRAMMED full of stuff.
There's a look at how we purchase meat here.













3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Katie and Ellen!
I hope your trip is going well. Thanks for taking the time to post all of this information....it really helps me to visualize everything. It sure looks hot there. I was wondering today if you all miss the snow in Rhinelander! Here, it's going to get cooler this weekend finally....I'd love some snow, but I don't think it's in the forecast.


I bet it's so fun to teach music to the kids there. All that singing you've done in the past is coming in handy, I guess!

I look forward to keeping up with your blogging (and thanks for the email Katie!)

Catherine

Katie said...

Yep, its amazing, I actually don't miss the snow! I've acclimated to the heat or something, because it doesn't bother me much anymore. I'm just used to sweating alot.

Anonymous said...

wow, that's pretty crazy! i can't imagine buying meat like that!