Monday, January 26, 2009

When you pray for us...

The computer has been fixed! I am really excited about this little detail that makes a big impact on everyone in our house.

Everything here has been going. Not always really well, but going nonetheless. I'm really enjoying the experience. There are many ups and downs, but the Lord has been good throughout. Sometimes I find myself wondering what even caused me to want to come here, I reflect on my purpose here and what I'm to do next and it just overwhelms me. More and more I find myself needing to look to and cast all my cares on my wonderful Saviour. I am so thankful He cares for us!

Tomorrow marks six weeks for us. It seems like it's been forever in some ways, but then it feels so transient at other times. It is difficult to deal with the different religions (namely Hinduism and Islam). Katie and I have both had conversations with quite a few people in these religions and the self-righteousness is so hard to get past. If they can't see their sin, there is no need as far as they can see for a Saviour. I guess that isn't the most accurate way to phrase it though. Most of them definitely do see their sin, but they rely on their own righteousness to get them to heaven and to justify them before the Perfect Judge. I wish I were better with words, with the Word. I want to show them so much of all the love that Christ has, the beauty that is found in Him alone, the awesome intimacy and love and joy and peace felt from a personal relationship with Him.

We need so much prayer. Prayer for God to open people's eyes and hearts to the Gospel. Prayer for strength and boldness and joy to present the Gospel. Prayer for communicating and dealing even with the professing Christians. Prayer for boldness to speak out against sin, especially that which is blatantly wrong. We need understanding and effective communication with the people here. I sometimes try to stretch myself and become all things to all men, but sometimes it just doesn't work. I can only be one place at one time and I wish I could just divide myself between so many things and people.

We also need prayer for endurance! I sometimes do just wish I could crawl in a hole and hide from situations or responsibilities. I don't like that feeling and know it's just my own selfishness that makes me feel that way. I'm being stretched and put in positions that are outside of my comfort zone and it's really good for me. Sometimes being moldable and praying that God will shape you as He sees fit is painful. It's a really good pain though. Pray that we would decrease and that He would increase in every aspect of our lives.

Living in Guyana has given me a better sense of how my life needs to be. I have been more focused since being here on trying to tell more people about Christ. I love that, but it has made me realize that my life needs to be this way all the time. I need to show His love through my life regardless of my living situation and location. I have found it pretty easy to get into spiritual conversations here, partly because people seem more open, but mostly because I have sought it. I want this in my life when I return also, it's who I am, I want to live it more.

3 comments:

Keithslady said...

I will be praying. Growing is hard, often unpleasant, but the results are worth it. I love you!

Dana said...

I want you to know that you are "always in every prayer of mine"...well, for the most part i think. :) I love you so much!!!

Ellen said...

Thank you both so much. I love you guys!