Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Centre Part 2

By the way, everything posted upside down, so if you want, start at the bottom and work your way up. Thanks! Sorry.
Oh these faces are so precious to me as well. These are some of the OVC children (orphans, and vulnerable children) and they come from very sad situations. The boy that is laughing asked me yesterday if when I go back to the states, when I come back, if I can bring him a bite of chocolate. He wants to taste chocolate from the states. These children LOVE it when Ellen and I play with them, and love attention. This is Anisia, James, and Thakur. Thakur is holding the big stack of valentines from the class. They will give them out on Friday.


Thakur and Rebecca, who is one of the staff at the Centre. She works in the office doing accounting. This is Rovendra and me.




This is my "adopted" boy from the remedial class, his name is Rovendra. He reminds me so much of Brett. I told him to show me his valentine and smile, and he only did one of those things as you can see.




This is Ellen helping one of the boys figure out what he's doing with his valentine.






This is the arts and crafts class we taught together on Tuesday as well. The boy looking right at the camera on the left is Carlos, a boy that loves Ellen (me too, but I don't see him as much) and ALWAYS wants to share his snack when they have a snack break.


James is sitting down to the right of Carlos, and Hemdath is in the green with a tie. James asked Hemdath to help him make me a valentine, but he doesn't want me to know. He asked me what kind of valentine I like and kept covering it when I would walk over to help one of the other students at the table. I love these kids.












This was our joint arts and crafts class on Tuesday. Ellen and I decided to join our remedial classes so that everyone could make valentines together. We are having a valentine party on Friday, and joining the classes again for that. This is the Educare sewing program. They do all of their sewing in this room, and the lady in the green is one of their instructors. They are currently making purple dresses for Graduation, which is on March 19th.








These are some of the sewing/garment making girls looking at patterns. The one sitting down looking at the book is Nataley, the one who has talked with me quite a bit, and expressed interest in the gospel. She has been coming to the #69 mission service.









This is the Educare Electrical program, instructed by Brother Terry. He also is the pastor at Roadside Baptist Church.












Here is a shot from farther back of the class. There are a lot of boys in this program. They range in age from 14-18.





















3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is all very interesting. Do the girls and women there wear dresses or skirts all of the time?

Have a nice day!
Catherine

Katie said...

At the Centre they have uniforms, and the girls uniform is a black skirt and white shirt. Boys wear black pants and a white shirts. Female Employees must wear skirts/dresses as well.

Dana said...

Once again, thank you for sharing. I love to read both of your posts and definitely enjoy the pictures. It puts a whole different perspective on life down there. It looks nice and warm...temperatures were WAY up here at a high of 44 one day...but they're dropping down to the 20s again.